Thursday, April 08, 2010

Bank notes

There's nothing like the feeling of a brand new crisp dollar bill (or pound note!) coming out of the cash machine into my keen hands! Even if it is just a £10 note, I still enjoy that feeling of new money and knowing that I am probably the first person who has ever handled that bill before. Recently, I was given a brand new bill from my local cash machine which was a £10 note from the Bank of Ireland (in the UK, each individual bank creates it's own notes). This particular bill caught my eye because of what was on the back of it: an image of Old Bushmills Distillery (see picture below for a similar £5 version that I found online). In Northern Ireland, they celebrate their whiskey . . . which kind of perpetuates the stereotype of a country that drinks too much! I guess this is what they are the most proud of? Bushmill's Whiskey . . . perhaps I should try some!


I then decided to look up what Canada had on the back of it's bank notes. The answer? Birds!


Us Canadians must be really proud of the loon (that's Great Northern Divers in the UK) as they not only appear on our $20 bill, but also on our $1 coin. It's too bad we couldn't come up with a better name than "loony" for our coin though. However, it is still much better than "twoony" (I have no idea what the official spelling is supposed to be?), our two dollar coin. I wonder if the powers that be decided to create something called the twoony so that all other coins would feel superior????

1 comment:

Jen said...

Mon amie, I must correct your Canadian banknotes, they starting changing back in 2001 (I remember only because we had to learn the new security features at work). Now we have pleasant scenes of children playing hockey and...! I forget the others.

It's almost subliminal messaging to put a distillery on the note. "Oh, what should I spend this money on? oooh, wait a sec.. sudden craving for whiskey..."

Les biz!