Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Birds and the . . . Bats . . .???

The previous 24 hours have been a bit rough. First, I think I may have accidentally killed a bat in what I can only assume was a most horrific death. Second, I had the misfortune of being an assistant murderer to a greenfinch. Not the best days work for an environmentalist.

First the bat: I was hanging up my wet laundry to dry when, at the bottom of my basket, I noticed something furry and black - a bat! It wasn't moving and I assume it didn't enjoy the spin cycle of my washing machine! The only thing I can think of is that a) it was already in the washing machine before I got there or b) it somehow climbed into my pile of dirty clothes and I put it in the washing machine myself, closed the lid, and pressed start! Either way, if it was alive when it went in, it was a horrible way to go. I feel pretty terrible!

The day after this happened, a green finch got stuck inside one of our rooms at work. Me, being the environmental goody goody that I am decided that I must rescue it and restore my good name. (The week before I had rescued a warbler from a similar situation). Alas, redeeming myself was just not to be. The bird was too high up for me to reach, so I asked my boss to get it for me. He put my jacket over the bird, but he didn't have a tight enough grip and the bird flew away . . . straight into the window with a horrible smack. It fell to the ground, looking a bit stunned, then shuddered a few times and was still. All of this happened in front of my coworker's primary school daughter. Oh yes, things just keep getting better and better!

*hangs head in shame*

On the bright side . . . Spain and Morocco in two days!

No comments: