Monday, December 03, 2007

St. Andrews Day


There is nothing like St. Andrew's Day to bring out a good celidih! St. Andrew is the patron Saint of Scotland, so I have been told, although I am not exactly sure how or why he became that. Each year, on November 30th there is a Saint Andrew's Day celebration and lots to see and do Edinburgh. This year, there was a free celidih in Princes St. Gardens (don't worry we were in a tent, so we were plenty warm and dry). The celidih started at 6, and as luck would have it, that is when my shift ended. So, my friends Ali and Ya'hara headed out - first stopping at the German market for DELICIOUS crepes. Yes, there really is nothing like crepes for a healthy supper!

Anyway, the celidih was great - for those of you who might not know, a celidih is kind of like a big barn dance. There were several different bands that played and the first band we were there for was great for teaching you how to do the different steps (this came in handy later on in the night, as not all bands were as in to teaching you the steps!). There was one dance called the Canadian Barn Dance. When the band asked "Are there any Canadians in the room tonight?" I made sure to let them know I was there and I represented Canada well. You have to change partners thoughout the entire dance and, near the end, I was dancing with a Scotsman (complete with kilt) who told me "I was the first girl he'd danced with that knew what she was doing". haha. Little did he know I was a Scot in disguise.

I heart a good celidih and I hope to go to one in the near future!

No comments: