Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Impressions


I arrived in my Northern Irish town (location to be kept secret from the public domain) about an hour ago. “Town” is a term to use loosely here, as there are only around 600 people in the area, so village would be more appropriate. I am currently exhausted, having not slept well the night before the move, and being on the go since just after 4am. Yuck.


The ferry crossing was beautiful though, as was the drive to Stranraer (where you catch the ferry from Scotland to Belfast). I wish I had explored that part of the country before. But, I digress . . .


My first impression so far of this village and of the accommodation supplied is that of claustrophobia. And, it’s not because there is anything wrong with the village or the house . . . it’s just that they are quite a bit different than what I am used to! I was living in Edinburgh (pop. ~450,00) where no one that you pass on the street really pays attention to you and my flatmates were very much interested in keeping a distance from each other. This is in contrast to here, where already I have been the subject of much staring and a few waves from the local children! Also, the house that I am in at the moment is probably smaller than the flat that I was living in before, and I feel like there isn’t much privacy. It’s just the complete opposite of the flat where no one spoke to one another and you would often go days without seeing someone. Here, you can see/hear the other person without any difficulty.


On the plus side there is a lovely garden though. Also, I have about 20 pillows on my bed. Bonus!


I will need to decide over the next week about staying in this place or moving to the flat that the girl I am replacing is currently staying in. I haven’t seen her place yet, so I am not sure what I will end up doing!


1 comment:

Vanessa said...

600 people is still bigger than Starbuck!!