Sunday, September 27, 2009

Life in the village continues

Recently, I went to register with the doctor's office here in my village. They were very friendly and nice and wanted to know all about me and why in the world I would leave "sunny Canada" for Northern Ireland. I also found out that there is a Canadian doctor, from Ontario, who sometimes covers the clinic, which is somewhat exciting. Since I've moved here people like to point out the other Canadians that they've heard about living in the same area. I have yet to meet a fellow Canuck, but I know there is one living somewhere nearby in "the sticks", which I thought was where I am now living, but it appears I have been misinformed!

Last night I went to watch Gaelic football for the first time. It's different from regular football (meaning soccer to you Canadian folk), in that you are allowed to pick up the ball with your hands. You can also score both points and goals . . . a goal goes in the net, and a point goes between the uprights, kind of like in the CFL. If you pick up the ball, you can't just carry it, but you have to either bounce it once (kind of like basketball) or do a solo, where you kick the ball back up to yourself. It was all very interesting and fun. People really take it seriously here . . . there was lots of swearing! And my current housemate, who almost never speaks and is someone that I consider quite shy, suddenly became this whole new person and barely stopped yelling at the pitch. It was bizarre! The first match I saw was a cup final, called the New York Cup, and it was very exciting. I am glad that I went and will likely continue to go support my local team, who's pitch is just up the road from where I'm living.

I'm still not in my own flat yet, which is frustrating! I better be in asap this week, or else I will be one unhappy lady!

No comments: