Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Random Odd Facts

Here's an old post that's been hiding on my laptop . . .


1. When I moved to Scotland, I learned that they didn’t say the word “lake”, they said loch instead. For example, think of Loch Ness. However, in Northern Ireland they use the word “lough”, which is pronounced the same as loch, but spelled in a completely different way. Therefore:


Lake = Loch = Lough


2. Number of churches I’ve seen so far called St. Patrick’s: 3 and counting.


3. Funniest school name I’ve seen so far: Tempo Controlled Primary School. It’s found in a wee village called Tempo. I’m not sure what the controlled part refers to though . . .


4. Names that make me laugh:

  • Ballyshannon, Ballymoney, Ballynakelly, and pretty much any town/village/hamlet with the word "bally" in it
  • Belcoo. It's a village not far from here that I just like the sound of. If you divide it into the two syllables of "bel" and "coo" you get "pretty cow" if you use the french word for pretty "belle" and the scots word for cow "coo". At least, that's what I think of every time I see it.
  • Smurfit something something. This is the name of some company that we drive by whenever we go to Belfast. OBVIOUSLY it reminds me of the smurfs!

No comments: