Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mr Cabdriver

(Another gem, found on my laptop!)


Besides being a good song by Lenny Kratvitz, it also refers to a rather popular source of employment. Recently, I went out for a walk in a two mile loop near my house. While I was walking, I suddenly became aware of the sound of footsteps coming up close behind me. They came closer and closer and eventually I knew I was about to be passed. Now, I happen to be somewhat competitive and I hate when I get passed by fellow walkers, as it makes me feel rather incompetent. Especially, when the walker turns out to be someone in their 70s or 80s! *sigh – that happens more often than I’d like to admit*


Enter Gary, the cabdriver. He was my walker-stalker on that fine evening, and, naturally, he appeared to be in his 60s. I slowed down to allow him to pass by, but instead he suddenly shouted “Hello!”, slowed his pace, and started asking me questions. He wanted to know all about who I was and what on earth a Canadian was doing in this wee village. I also learned a fair amount about him along the way. We walked for around a mile together before we parted ways. I had to laugh at the situation – this would certainly never have happened in Edinburgh! If someone suddenly shouted “Hello!” and started asking me questions about who I was when I was walking through the Meadows or Holyrood Park, I probably would have turned and ran the other way!


UPDATE: I have since ran into Gary several times! Once, he picked me and Keri up in his cab, and once he walked in on Keri and I trying to get a photo op with two unsuspecting donkeys on the side of the rode (see picture evidence below - the second donkey is behind Keri).



No comments: