Friday, December 04, 2009

Buses & Beckham

Riding the bus in the wee village is completely different from riding the bus in any other city I have visited/lived in so far. While there are bus stops in the village, and between the village and the closest town, these are largely ignored by the locals. Instead, apparently, you can flag down the bus wherever you happen to be on the road, rather like a taxi, and ask the bus driver to let you off the bus in any random spot along the road you like.

I have to admit that this works very well for me. Recently, JenMac and I ran the entire length of my village's main street in order to flag down the bus and jump on at a spot that was well after the actual bus stop. Luckily, the bus was caught in "traffic" on the main street, so it couldn't get away. We then had the bus entirely to ourselves for the entire ride into town. Luxury! haha

I wonder if the new bus system that we got in PEI is like that? I have yet to ride the bus back home, so I cannot comment!

On a side note, I think I may have been in the UK too long as I was listening to David Beckham in an interview yesterday and his voice, oddly, did not cause me to shudder in any way! I don't know what's happened . . . either I've been here too long or he's been stateside too long and we've reached a point of mutual understanding!

***This post is in response to Ali's well deserved admonishing for me not posting stories about my wee village recently. Until the next installment . . .

No comments: