Friday, October 05, 2007

Watch out for moose!


Those are the words of wisdom that I received from Alex before taking off on the longest drive I have ever done in one day: from Ottawa to Charlottetown. Google Maps estimated just over 14hrs door-to-door and they were dead on (although I think it actually took less time because I also stopped for food and gas multiple times within that time period). The trip was great (but long) and though I did not see any moose, I did see a deer. Actually, I almost hit a deer. That was probably the scariest part of the drive. It was late and dark out and I was mistakenly lulled into thinking that I wouldn't see any big animals now because they're usually active earlier in the day (or so the biologist in me thought). Suddenly I saw a form on the right side of the road - definitely a deer. I could tell it wanted to cross the highway and it seemed kind of indecisive about what it was going to do: cross or wait. I slammed on the brakes doing 120 km/hr and hoped the deer would decide not to cross. I also swerved to the left, at the same time the deer decided to bolt for it. Luckily it had second thoughts and stopped again, and luckily I had swerved, otherwise it would have been a head on collision and I am not sure what would have happened. I spent the rest of the trip frantically looking from left to right along the highway, searching for more animals about to bolt out. Luckily, I only saw a cat and a raccoon, both of which remained safely on their respective sides of the road.

The rest of the trip was great. Yes, it was long, but it was also beautiful. Seeing all the fall leaves on the trees as I drove through Quebec and New Brunswick along the Saint L. was truly breathtaking. It really renewed my desire to do a cross-Canada trip. Someday! (I hope!).

Long story short, I made it safe and sound (extremely tired), but I am here. One more week until Scotland!

No comments: