Sunday, September 30, 2007

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched


Today, I was finally able to sit down and figure out what day I wanted to leave Ottawa, and hence what day to book a van for from a rental company. I had been so busy finishing up my thesis and getting ready to move that I hadn't really had any time to sit down and think about this. But now, I am officially moved out of my apartment and officially done of my thesis so I thought it would be a good time to figure this sort of thing out, so that I could book somewhat ahead. I had been incredibly relieved to find a car company that would accept one way bookings to PEI, as apparently, most don't anymore, so I wasn't too concerned when I sat down in front of my computer today. I was thinking I would like to leave either Tuesday or Wednesday. This should give me sufficient time to clean out my desk and filing cabinet at the lab, and to organize my files, I should think.


Unfortunately, there was no "mini-van" option for either Tuesday or Wednesday. They seemed to be sold out. I started to panic and looked at Monday - in a pinch, I could probably finish up everything tonight, if I really really had to - but again, no vans . . . the same thing happened for Thursday, and Friday and, well you get the idea. At this point, I was saying all kinds of words out loud that should not be said in the presence of children. Finally, I had to resign myself to traveling on Thursday with an "SUV crossover" which was the roomiest vehicle I could find over the course of the week. It appears to be very similar to a minivan, but I am somewhat worried about fitting my stuff in there. It will need to be well packed, but fingers crossed that it will all go well.

Now, I just need to figure out what to do with this extra time I will be spending in Ottawa. Oh, and I am also (perhaps sadly?) bummed that I will have to miss Grey's on Thursday night because I will still be on the road. Yes, I am a wee bit obsessed, but I can't help it!

No comments: