Saturday, September 22, 2007

Scotland Bound, yet again!

I started this blog quite some time ago, when I was first settling in to Ottawa and since then I have kind of neglected it, since my life was virtually taken over by grad school. You see, this is why I should never be allowed to have plants. Something else comes up and before you know it my beautiful greenery has turned to brownery!

I have almost completed all of my requirements for my Masters in Biology: I just have to have my defense and make corrections to my thesis and then I will be returning to bonnie Scotland yet again! I am getting rather excited about it all, although I am also filled with a sense of trepidation since I have so much to do before the big day. And, I am the queen of procrastination. As is shown by me sitting here writing a blog about all the other things I should be taking care of.

Okay, major upcoming obstacles/things to do include:

1. Passing my defense. It's not so much that I don't think I will end up with my MSc at the end of the day, but I am certainly more than worried about looking like a complete idiot in front of my friends and colleagues who are kind enough to come to the defense to support me. The major issue I am having with this is simply getting my defense date organized. I am hoping to have it sometime in the upcoming week, but as of yet, I have not had a date confirmed. I really should be studying . . . eek!

2. Moving out of my apartment in Ottawa. I have to be out of here by October 1st, so naturally my apartment is currently littered with half packed boxes, organized in piles that only I could comprehend. This will get better though. Right?

3. Finding a new home for all the stuff I cannot take with me. *sigh*. Since I am moving across an ocean, it is difficult to take all the things you have accumulated over the years to your new home. It's possible, but expensive - I could probably just buy new stuff for cheaper! Today it kind of hit me that I am saying goodbye to a lot of items that I have known for a long time and it made me kind of sad. I think it'll hit home even more tomorrow which is when my friends are coming to pick up my bed. Then it'll be me, an air mattress, and a whole lot of empty space for a week.

4. Moving all the stuff I want to keep, but am not taking with me right now to PEI. I have no idea how I am going to accomplish this anymore. Perhaps Greyhound? I will need to see how many boxes I have to move.

Well, I guess those are the big things. There are all kinds of minor things too take care of, but that will come together. I'm keeping a list. For those that know me well, that should come as no surprise!

The good news is, once I get through all this stuff I will be in Scotland. That is my light at the end of the grad school tunnel.

No comments: