Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas 2008

Christmas this year was a different affair . . . usually I surround myself by people, particularly when I am faced with another family-less Christmas, but this year I wanted something different. Specifically, I wanted to be alone this year . . . it's hard to explain why . . . I mean, it's not that I suddenly turned into the Grinch or anything, it's just that for over a year now it's just been go-go-go in my life. Specifically, the past year and a half has basically looked like this:

finish my masters, rush home to say my good-byes, move to Scotland, get a job, get a place to live, get a new job, move to England, work ridiculous hours for little pay, move back to Scotland, find a job, find a place to live, find a new job . . . you get the picture.

And, yes, that has really been what the past year a half has been all about. It's been stressful, but I am glad I am where I am today. So, basically what I am trying to say is that I wanted to relax and enjoy the day, and not have to worry about whether everyone else was having a good time - perhaps I was being selfish, but I really enjoyed my Christmas.

Don't get me wrong - I was incredibly disappointed not to have been able to afford the astronomical flight prices this year in order to get home and spend time with my family. When the reality sunk in that I was going to be stuck in Scotland while everyone else was at home, I had to move on to Plan B: Skype. I organized a surprise rendez-vous with my uncle via skype for Christmas day, as my family were all going over to his house to open gifts and eat Christmas Dinner. It was really nice to be able to see them open their gifts that I sent them and, hopefully, it was also nice for them to see me open their gifts. It was honestly the next best thing to being home.

On a related note, I was really touched this year by my friends who took the time to get in touch. It really meant a lot to hear from each of you. Thanks for everything and all the best for 2009!

No comments: