Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Admin Wars II

Part One: The current job

I found out a couple of days ago that the company I currently work for is making much less money than expected and so they are having to cut shifts from people to save money. I have lost one shift a week, which put me into a little bit of a panic as I am still trying to get myself organized financially here (something that I anticipate will take a long time) and losing out on one day a week will certainly hurt. But then I remembered my new job and that I should be starting that pretty soon so everything will hopefully be okay. Right?

Wrong. (see below)

Part Two: The new job

Before I can begin at my new job I first must obtain a background check (from Disclosure Scotland). I submitted it three and a half weeks ago, but as of yet have heard nothing. I called the Disclosure Scotland people the day after I found out that I was losing a shift a week at my current job to check in. They told me that they had never received a request for a Disclosure check and I should contact my new place of employment to make sure they sent it. Ummmm, gulp? I can't begin work at my new place until I get this check done, so effectively I am stuck! I have called my new job twice, but both times the gentleman I need to speak to has been out and although I have left messages he has not yet returned my calls. So at the moment I am in limbo and wishing people in admin were a lot better trained!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No comments: