Sunday, August 10, 2008

I can drive again!

This week, in the post, I finally received my UK driver's licence. It has taken forever and much hassle due to people who work for the DVLA giving me the wrong advice. But it's finally been straightened out, although I received no apology from the people that be. As a Canadian you can actually exchange your Canadian licence for a british one (as long as you do so within a year of entering the UK) for a grand total of £50. However, you are then only able to drive automatics unless you can prove that you took your test using a standard/manual. If you can't prove that then you need to take a test to prove that you can drive a standard (which costs more money) and I don't really know the full details of that yet. I am currently only able to drive automatics, which suits me at the moment as I have never learned to drive a standard. But I will need to learn soon because almost all the cars over here are standards!

I am just happy because I can officially go on the road again which I am most looking forward to. I love to drive and being without a licence since March has been most restrictive. I don't have a car here yet or anything, but there have been times when I would have liked to rent a car and go for a drive and not been able to.

No comments: