Sunday, August 17, 2008

Admin Wars

Everywhere I go I end up working for a company that cannot seem to get their admin right. I was paid for the first time since coming back to my old job last week and the amount was much less than I expected. This catastrophe was, admittedly, partly my fault, as I had miscalculated the cut off date for that pay cheque by an entire week. However, my company still managed to short change me an entire day's pay as well as some hours for night time work, which we get paid extra for. I was told that I would get a cheque in the post for the missing amount shortly. And sure enough, two business days later I received a cheque from my company. As I opened the envelope I thought to myself that receiving the cheque so soon was remarkably efficient for my company and sure enough I was right. As it turned out I was too right. This sudden increase in speed resulted in a sharp decrease in accuracy.

You see, they sent me a cheque for just over £300. Hmmmmm, I thought to myself, that is remarkably generous for a day's pay. Too good to be true? You better believe it. My eyes then flicked over to the name on the cheque. It was a K Duncan, but unfortunately not a Kathleen Duncan. So, I had to go back to my manager again and explain that I had received what looked to be someone else's
cheque. I was assured that another CORRECT cheque would be sent out in the mail. A couple of days later I received one. This time the cheque was made out to the right person, but they short changed me again, this time by 50 pence. Sigh. I guess you just can't win them all can you?


2 comments:

Jen said...

You should bill them for the time you had to put in working out the pay miscalculations! :)

You know 50p is five Chomp bars. Critical to any chocolate addict.

Kathleen said...

It's so true (both your comments!). *sigh*