Friday, July 04, 2008

Canada Day in Edinburgh


Ah, I will never forget my first Canada Day in Edinburgh in 2003 (Gulp, that was five years ago!). My group of friends all went out to the Globe and it was so refreshing to see all those people dressed in red and white! Many of them weren't even from Canada!

My second Canada Day (2004) was also fantastic. Vanessa and I held a BBQ at our flat and had a bunch of people over. True to Scottish weather, the moment people started to arrive it began to pour! Luckily, Maureen was still brave enough to take care of the BBQing - we just pulled the BBQ right up to the door so that she could stand in the doorway. I think everyone still had a good time, even though we were crammed in the hallway of our building!

Needless to say, I expected this year (my third Canada Day in Edinburgh) to be pretty fantastic too. But, I was kind of disappointed. We went to a pub which was hosting a Canada Day celebration on the Royal Mile, but it wasn't really that exciting. They did go around though and see how many people were from each province/territory and (shocker!) I was the only one there to represent good old PEI. I did my part though when they asked "Is there anyone here from PEI?" and I shouted out "Yay! ... I'm the only one!" Everyone laughed at me and there were naturally one or two Anne of Green Gables comments thrown my way. Typical. :)

For anyone not aware, Canada Day is held July 1st and it is NOT the same as Independance Day (July 4th and American). Canada was "born" in 1867 so this year we are 141 years old.

No comments: