Thursday, July 10, 2008

Edinburgh, Week 2: Rollercoaster Rides

Week two started with the usual panic: I need a job and a flat ASAP. I tried temping agencies, and "real" job websites. The "real" job options were slim, mainly because it's just poor timing to be out looking for a job in my field. Also, some of the potential jobs that were on the go wouldn't be starting until the fall. So, in short, I still needed a job ASAP. I just don't have enough money saved up to wait around for a couple of months until a job in my field comes up.

So, I thought, why not get in touch with my last job in Edinburgh? It's practically festival time, surely they'll be looking for people! Actually, no. Turns out they've been through some rough times since I last worked there and weren't looking to hire any one. That was deflating, but there wasn't much I could do about it. I decided to stop in to see some of my friends that worked there though, which was lovely. We decided to arrange a night out and I headed back home .... later that day, I got a call from one of my ex-coworkers. Turns out that right after I left someone quit their job and they could hire me now! (This was a high point in the roller coaster week). The down point was that it was only going to be for 16hrs a week. Not much, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? So I decided to give my old manager a call the next day - and actually, they could only offer 8hrs a week, but I would likely get more (another low point). I'm not really enjoying the uncertainty of all that, but it's better than nothing. I suppose. For now. Maybe. At least I'll be making some money (a high point).

So, I'm back at my old job, but I can't guarantee how many hours I will be getting per week. I just hope it'll be enough to get by on!

In good job related news, I have an interview for a "real" job that would start in the fall (a high point). The interview is not until the end of the month, so I still have plenty of waiting and seeing to do (a low point).

...

Flats. Well, I did go to see a couple of places this week, but they were not my type (a low point). One of them, the kitchen smelled horrible. I cannot stay in a place like that. I like to keep things tidy. The other place, they kept changing things like how much it was going to cost, whether they'd require a deposit, etc. It's been a pretty frustrating week. I have never had so much trouble trying to find a place to live. I don't know how many places I've called and I either seem to just miss them or they have these crazy stipulations. One ad I saw said the "living room was private". Everything else sounded great, so I thought I would call and find out what that all meant. The girl I spoke to said that they basically didn't want to have any parties going on in the room. That was fair enough, I thought, but I still wanted to clarify - "So, whoever rented the room would still be able to use it though right?" No, apparently I was wrong. It wasn't for everyone to use. But, I still didn't get it, "But, if I paid money to live there, I would still get to use the living room, wouldn't I?" No. I wouldn't be allowed. I tried every angle I could think of, but the answer was still no. So my eventual response was "Riiiiiiiight. I don't think this flat is for me then."

And that pretty much sums up my lack of ability to find a place to live. Hopefully next week things will go smoother!


Til next time. x

No comments: